Everything you need to know about the UK D-One fleet





Sunday 8 November 2009

Racing an RS700 in between races

Ok this is the weird bit....I just can't work out what is going on with speed.


Having previously been talking about how difficult it was to beat the RS400's today I had a bit of a moment when I was sailing downwind with an RS700 chasing me.


We were both in quite a nice breeze and I was ahead by 2-3 boat lengths, RS700 (prob a force 3)


When a bigger gust hit me and I had to bear off  to keep the D-One flying, the speed difference between us was marginal.

I have to say until today I hadn't quite believed the video footage in Garda of the racing the 700.

Let me also say that as soon as the 700 went higher a bit and really used his trapeze caught a gust and went deeper again, he defininately speeded up a lot quicker, but I can honestly say that there were a few wonderful moments that I was able to keep him at bay.....amazing.

So here is the conundrum.....faster than a 700 on a straight stretch of water but struggle with the 400's Windward / Leward?.....go figure.

Faster than a 700 overall - no I dont think so, but good fun fending them off in a blow with the kite up. Brief moments of equal speed.

Trying to beat the 400's on the water Windward / Leward - difficult.....although I am messing around with the rig and learning all the time to see what works and what doesn't.
If I can keep up with the 400's upwind (difficult) I am a shed load faster downwind, when the wind is constantly up (force 3-4)

hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment