Everything you need to know about the UK D-One fleet





Monday 1 March 2010

Queen Mary Sunday afternoon jolly with great results!

Instead of going to the Hoo freezer event I thought I would take advantage of some time in the boat "not racing" to actually practice a few points that have been niggling me for ages.

One of these was replacing the spinnaker halyard to a thicker diameter rope.

Supplied was 3mm (may have been 2.5mm) but this proved really difficult to work with especially hoisting from the wing, which is the best way to hoist the spinny BTW.

So I replaced it with 5mm racing pro with a view that i it was way too thick I would expose the inner core material at the top of the halyard to avoid excessive windage up the top of the mast, hence the supply of small diameter rope in the first place (good attention to detail).

Well to say the difference was magnificent would be an understatement!
The 5mm rope works a dream and I was able to hoist the kite cmfortably while in a reaching position, hiking from the wings.....amazing.

The other point was to remove the elastic at the transom whose purpose was to stop the spinny sheets from trailing out the back of the boat.

The problem with that was that is was fantasticly easy to twist my tiller extension through it half way through a tack and therefore tie myself in knots!

So that disappeared and I attached a large nylon ring a piece of elastic at the transom knee that centres the rudder and threaded the sheets through that.....fantastic job.

I will post pictures soon...I forgot my bimble cam!

No comments:

Post a Comment